Top 5 Causes of Dry Eye
Are your eyes frequently red, itchy, dry, gritty, or even watery? Do you have blurry vision or sensitivity to bright lights? If so, you may have dry eyes. At the Holicki Eye Centers & Optical in Sturgis, MI, Coldwater, MI, and Angola, IN, our optometry team can treat your symptoms of dry eye. The information below are the most common causes of dry eye.
Dry Eye Causes
Your symptoms could be caused by a number of different underlying conditions, which may require different treatments. The following issues are the most common culprits behind your dry eyes:
Age: As we get older, our eyes begin to produce less tears. This could be due to inflammation in the eyes or damage to the tear ducts. Fortunately, this can be treated.
- Medical Conditions: Health conditions like Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus, can result in dry eye. Meibomian gland dysfunction is another medical condition that can bring about dry eye. This occurs when the glands secrete oil into the protective tear film over your eyes. If dysfunctional, the glands won't secrete the right amount of oil which can cause your tear film to evaporate too quickly.
- Improper Use of Contacts: Wearing your contact lenses for too long, not practicing proper hygiene, and wearing ill-fitting contacts can lead to dry eye.
- Too Much Computer Time: In order to keep your eyes moist, you will need to blink often so that you can get the right amount of tears, mucus, and oils. Staring at a screen for too long can decrease the times you blink.
- Eye Surgery: People who undergo LASIK will experience symptoms of dry eye. In most cases, this only last 3 to 6 months.
Do You Have Dry Eyes? Make An Appointment
Don’t let red, itchy, watery eyes keep you from doing the things you love. Contact our optometry team at Holicki Eye Centers & Optical to schedule an appointment today.
- 517-279-7927 for our Coldwater, MI office
- 260-665-5015 for our Angola, IN office
- 269-659-4545 for our Sturgis, MI office